Every year camera brands churn out cameras that are at the cutting edge of technology and innovation. 2022 is one such year with a handful of options that are made for the specific needs of the streaming content creator.
Table of Contents
How to Choose the Best Camera for Live Streaming
There is only one step to choosing the best camera for streaming; choose the one that best suits your needs. You may have the most expensive camera at your disposal, but it doesn’t do what you need it to do. You have just wasted your money and are just leaving your stream followers wanting more.
Be honest and enumerate your needs. If you stream from a dimly-lit room, then you will need a camera that performs under low light conditions. If you want a professional high-definition stream, then you should be looking to purchase an HD or 4k capable option.
Aside from considering all your streaming needs, there is also the matter of informing yourself about what cameras are out there. Take time to make yourself familiar with the cameras you can buy. Researching will ensure that you get the best camera your money can buy.
Cameras That Streamers Can Use
What cameras do streamers normally use? Here is a discussion of the types of cameras that perform best for streaming:
- Webcams – Webcams are the obvious choice for Twitch streaming.
Webcams sit on top of your monitor and need no special mounting options like tripods. Webcams have come a long way and now perform like the best video cameras available.
Webcams now have up to 720p capabilities, and if you are working on a budget, then webcams are a cheap and decent option to go with.
- DSLR Cameras – If you want great video quality, then DSLR cameras are not a bad place to start. It also does not hurt that these cameras are the best at capturing photographs. Just remember to purchase one that has HDMI output options. This feature will enable you to record videos for longer durations of time.
- Action Cams – If you need a camera for a more dynamic stream that is somehow not just limited to you sitting in front of your computer, then you might want to get an action camera.
These cameras capture videos that have quick movements and can be resistant to shock. The wide-angle lens on these cameras also makes for making your room look a little bigger when streaming.
- PTZ Cameras – PTZ stands for pan, tilt, and zoom. The main draw of these types of cameras is that you can control and operate them remotely.
These are good for podcasts with more than one camera. PTZs enable a director or operator to have autonomous control over the camera’s angles and the subjects being captured.
The Best Cameras for Streaming
As for this whole matter, here is the list of picks for the best camera for streaming on Twitch in 2022:
Blackmagic Designs Pocket Cinema Camera
The golden standard in streaming, the Blackmagic designs pocket cinema line of cameras gives you the “Hollywood look” and will immediately make you stand out from the competition. While everyone else streams in regular HD, you stream in film-quality digital 4K or even 6K.
Specs in 3 models:
Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K – $ 1,295
Super advanced features that you would normally find in cameras that are twice or thrice their price!
- 4096X2160 native resolution
- MFT lens mount
Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 6K G2 – $1,995
As great as the previous model but has 6K capabilities and more!
- 6144X3456 native resolution
- Enables you to use EF photo lenses to capture cinematic images with shallow DOP
- Adjustable tilt LCD
- Mount for aftermarket viewfinder
Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 6K – $2, 535
- 2,4, and 6-stop motorized ND filters
- Manual ND and stop reduction selection
- Super bright HD display screen for bright sunlight use
Get this camera! It is all it says it is and more! Cameras of this type are at least $5,000. If you do, though, please go beyond streaming and produce other content, like short films, to maximize the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera’s capabilities.
OBSBOT 4K Tiny
This is everything you have been looking for in a webcam and more! The OBSBOT 4K Tiny is part AI bot that has auto tracking that can shoot subjects on its own!
- 4K in 30 FPS
- 1080 in 30 FPS
- Excellent built-in microphone
- Type C and Type A USB connection
- Has a motion track that acts like an autonomous PTZ camera!
- AI autofocus feature
Get this camera if you stream content that has you moving around in the frame. Or if you run a podcast where you want AI to keep track and keep everything in focus hands-free. For only $215, get this camera nonetheless and find a use for its awesome features later on!
This mirrorless camera option just needs mounting, and you are good to stream. Perfect for beginners, the autofocus feature on the Sony a5100 is very responsive and fast. The light sensitivity on this camera is also top-notch! Low to bright lighting conditions are not a problem to shoot.
- Still resolution of 24.3 MP
- Has image-stabilization
- 3x optical zoom
- Ultra-fast autofocus
- Full HD 1080/24/60P video in up to 50 MB/s
- Rechargeable batteries
This camera option is the most solid in the mirrorless front of things. At only $600, you get a camera that you can plug in, stream, and forget! Its ultra-fast autofocus is for real!
GoPro HERO11 Black
If your streaming goes beyond the four corners of your room, then the GoPro HERO11 Black is the streaming cam for you.
- Shockproof aftermarket crystal casing
- 1.9” screen
- Image sensor with an ultra-wide field of view
- 5.3K video
- High-res photos through the 27MP lens
- Hyper-smooth shot stabilization
- Horizon lock
The industry standard in action cams, the GoPro HERO11 Black is the next in GoPro’s long line of reliable action cameras. If you are in the market for an action camera, you really can’t go wrong with GoPro.
Logitech Mevo Start
Like a hybrid action cam/webcam, the Logitech Mevo Smart is the de facto choice for event streamers due to its remote, wireless features that make streaming a breeze for event organizers.
- Can be paired with other cameras through software to enable multi-cam setup streams
- Has a dual stereo/mono microphone
- Bluetooth 4.1 connectivity
It’s What You Need, Not What You Want!
There may be a lot of fancy and expensive cameras that may be tempting to spend on, but know what you need first. The more you know about your needs, the easier to ascertain what the best streaming camera is for you.
The right camera for your kind of streaming will do wonders for your content. Your stream will have more production value, which will mean satisfied Twitch subscribers. Isn’t that half of what streaming is about?
- Mastering Social Media: Tips and Strategies for Effective Marketing - October 3, 2023
- Harnessing the Power of Social Media for Elevating Customer Service - October 3, 2023
- Social Media Marketing Insights and Strategies for Success - October 3, 2023