Creating a successful Twitch channel takes a lot of effort. From editing the video and audio to attracting viewers to your channel, it can all get a little too stressful.
Thus, when you have effectively attained significant Twitch growth, you are likely to have a busy chat room on your hands.
This is why you need a strong moderation team. After all, you can’t do everything by yourself. Chat moderators help to maintain a respectful, safe, and fun chat room. But do you know how to make someone a mod on Twitch, so you can rest easy? Let’s find out.
This article will inform you in detail on what a moderator is, how to mod on Twitch and some general advice regarding making someone a moderator. Interested?
What Is a Moderator on Twitch?
If you want to learn how to mod someone on Twitch, you must first understand what a moderator is and why it is such a crucial role.
Twitch moderators ensure public chat rooms are safe spaces for all users. Therefore, they remove harmful or inappropriate content and ensure that chat rules are followed.
Twitch mods are individuals with great responsibility and authority. Hence, it is essential that whoever you put in this position is qualified.
All live stream videos on Twitch have a chat room, and when any of these videos gain traction, the number of active chat increases significantly.
However, this high inflow of users also means the chances of offensive language and spam filling the stream chat room are higher. This is why a human moderator is needed.
Channel moderators have the power to remove undesirable content from Twitch chat rooms, ban any user in chat rooms, and ensure that all conversations meet all the guidelines of the platform.
They also have access to chat features such as slow mode, which is a feature that limits a user to send one message within a certain period.
You can easily recognize a chat moderator by a green and white sword icon that shows up next to their username in chat rooms. It goes without saying that anyone who is on your moderation team should be dependable, responsible, and fair.
How to Make Someone a Mod on Twitch
You can easily mod someone on Twitch, and there are three ways to do so. Here they are.
In the Chat Room
You can use two methods to mod someone in the chat room. These include the /mod chat command and through the user profile. Keep in mind that the user you want to mod has to be in the chat room in order to use these methods.
Using /mod chat command
- Start streaming.
- Let the candidate enter the chat room.
- In that same chat room, type the command “/mod username” and send. Ensure the command does not have the quotes. Also, replace “username” with the name of the user you want to make a mod. For instance, /mod Stream_upgrade.
- Once you send the message, the person becomes a mod.
Through User Profile
- Start streaming.
- Allow your preferred mod to enter the chat room.
- You will find their profile overview and a human-like outline with a “+” symbol.
- Click on the symbol, and the person becomes your new mod.
From the Control Panel
You do not need to be in the chat room for this method.
- Go to your dashboard
- From this dashboard, click on the hamburger menu.
- Click on “Community” then “Roles Manager.”
- From there, you will find a list of your community members and other information.
- Click on the “Add New” button, and assign the role to the user according. You can also remove a role from a user there.
General Advice on Making Someone a Mod on Twitch
As you can see, it is pretty easy to make someone a mod on Twitch, but do you have all the knowledge required to make the right decision? Here are some tips that can guide you on making someone a moderator.
How to Pick a Good Mod
There are several factors you need to consider before making someone a mod. These factors include:
- Someone you can trust.
- Someone with experience being a Twitch moderator. (This is not a requirement. You can also pick someone who has other qualifications).
- Someone well-known and liked in the community.
- Someone who communicates effectively works well with others and is adaptable.
What Is the Right Number of Twitch Mods to Have?
The appropriate number of mods depends entirely on your Twitch community size and the chat room’s number of users and viewers.
Typically, a small chat room should have about three active mods at all times. With a medium-sized one, you should look for one moderator for every 200 viewers. However, a large-sized channel should host automated moderation and one moderator for every 600 viewers.
Keep in mind that these are general figures, and you should add new mods whenever you feel is best.
Which Is Best? A Bot or a Human Moderator?
A bot cannot possibly catch every inappropriate behavior found in the chat room, and neither is a bot able to work with 100% accuracy.
Therefore, it is advisable that you have a human mod. However, choosing the right people for the job is essential for preventing a terrible chat experience.
How to Unmod a User
Taking away the privilege of a moderator is just as easy as giving it. All you need to do is open the chat room of your stream, type “/unmod username,” and send it.
Having moderators is just as important as having engaging content on your channel. They are essential for ensuring you grow your Twitch channel organically. Therefore, you should always endeavor to have the right number of mods in your chat room. Remember that your mods need to be accountable, dependable, and trustworthy.
- The Evolution of Social Media Platforms Over Time - May 1, 2023
- The Impact of Social Media Influencers - May 1, 2023
- How Social Media Algorithms Work and How They Affect Users - May 1, 2023